- Intense fear that you will do or say something and embarrass yourself in front of other people.
- Always being afraid of making a mistake and being watched and judged by other people.
- Avoiding doing things you want to or speaking to people because you fear being embarrassed.
- Worrying for days or weeks before you have to meet new people.
- Blushing, sweating a lot, trembling, nausea, or feeling like you have to throw up before and during an event where you are with new people.
- Staying away from social situations such as school events and making speeches.
- Drinking alcohol to make your fears go away.
What should you do if you have a phobia?
If you think you may have symptoms of a specific or social phobia, a visit to your doctor is the best place to start. Your doctor will perform a careful exam to figure out whether your symptoms are really due to this illness, or if you have another anxiety disorder or problem.
Sometimes a person can feel awkward talking to a health care provider about phobias. They may blame themselves, think their condition is not serious, or feel embarrassed. Keep in mind that this illness can be treated.
The next step your doctor may suggest is a visit with a mental health professional. This includes psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, and counselors. It is best to look for a professional who has special training in cognitive-behavioral and/or behavioral therapy. Keep in mind that when you start taking medicine, it may not start working right away. You need to give your body a few weeks to get used to the medicine. Then, you and your doctor can decide if it's working.
10 well-known people and their phobias
10. George Washington
9. Woody Allen
8. Richard Nixon
Ovophobia (Fear of eggs)
6. Sigmund Freud
Fear of weapons and ferns
5. Oprah Winfrey
Fear of gum chewing
Hydrophobia (Fear of water)
3.Billy Bob Thornton
Several fears (Bright colours, antique furniture, clowns)
Fear of gems and jewelry
1. Napoleon Bonaporte
Ailurophobia (Fear of cats)
Sources: National Institute of Mental Health on